Monday, February 1, 2010

AUDJPY: The Cake is Baked

Well, the RBA just decided not to increase rates.

Recently, China decided to tighten up capital requirements for lenders.

Also, there has been talk of taxing or otherwise restricting carry trade activities.

Lest we forget, recent news in Australia is mixed.

The US market has been skittish.

Emerging markets have been very skittish.

So, what am I trying to say?

I'm thinking the cake is baked. You might want to let the dust settle from the RBA decision -- but I think we have become overly pessimistic. We are so pessimistic that all the bad news and presumptions of bad news should soon be baked into the price of the AUDJPY.

All we need now are some upside surprises...

UPDATE: It's thursday morning and we are having a nice panic day apparently due to a less than stellar jobs report. I think the panic is unnecessary but I do understand the lynchpin that is being attacked here. If jobs don't come back then how can the economy recover? However, I think they have it backwards, as we do see spending continue to recover, which should after a lag lead to jobs. Obviously, the market can stay irrational far longer than you can remain solvent, so don't jump in just because you have a long term belief (as I do).

I guess the cake is baking, but not yet ready to come out of the oven.

No comments: