Friday, October 3, 2008

Seeing Beyond The Bailout

Now that the US bailout package has been passed the question on everyone's mind is what happens next?

Nobody knows. Conversely, everyone knows!

Once the question of government action has been answered we know that the currency markets will move either up or down. Basically, the only time they are in near stasis is when speculators and investors need the next piece of information in order to properly develop their expectations.

Okay, I know, you'd like some ideas to consider so that you can gather ammunition and make up your own mind.

My take is that the GBPJPY and AUDJPY are setting up for a possible double bottom on their 1d charts. The bailout package represents a reason for currency traders to accept a bit more risk. As I'm sure you know carry trade positions are liquidated during periods of risk aversion. Somebody, somewhere, is going to look at the exchange rates and decide that there are some deals.

I'm unsure which currency is more appealing. Both the UK and Australia appear to be in the process of relaxing fears with respect to inflation. When they drop interest rates their currencies won't react by appreciating in price.

However, the GBPJPY is extremely low in historic terms. Perhaps there is some inertia or general distrust of the cable that needs to be worked out, but you have to wonder how much further it can fall. Isn't somebody out there going to start considering goods and services from the UK competitively priced?

With respect to the AUDJPY, I can't imagine that Australia won't be able to sell commodities into Asia. Sure, currency prices may be falling, but the fall in the Australian dollar will leave exporters in a profitable position regardless. With this being the case -- how can Australia consider inflationary pressures to be abating?

Of course, I should note, speculation on macroeconomic fundamentals such as above is not a short term play.

So, what's my strategy?

I plan to accumulate carry trades during upswings. Sure, what upswings you might be wondering. If there aren't any, then I'll continue to wait. However, I expect to see them soon. Once these trades are profitable I'll place in-profit stop losses on them and open up new positions at opportune moments.

Looking at the long term as I am I see thousands of pips on the table. If I can accumulate more and more positions, under the protection of profitable stop losses, I could end up riding some serious profit. Of course, the hard part is not letting all my trades be shaken off when the market is bucking.

No comments: