Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Forex Market Turmoil

My recent excellent trading week was followed by a less than stellar week. Basically, I was caught by surprise when the US markets, and hence the US dollar, started to make a comeback.

I've been cutting my teeth in the forex market for over a year now, but this entire period has been associated with a weakening US dollar. The market mechanics seem to be changing around -- so I'm finding it more difficult to trade. Currencies aren't bouncing off their bollinger boundaries anymore and instead are trading flat for extended periods of time.

There's no good indication of future expections coming out of a flat line. Plenty of indicators, such as stochastics, become worthless when they are operating on moves of only a few pips. They are no longer able to predict entry points that are very likely to coincide with meaningful price moves.

In light of all this, I've swapped much of my capital into my low risk carry trading account.

I'm learning, slowly, that it's all about preservation of capital. In uncertain times hunker down and protect what you have. When things start to operate according to your plan you can then bring out the big guns and start working within those more favorable conditions.

Don't try to force the market to give you money. If it's acting counter to what you are used to then it's time to regroup and figure out what is going on. For example, if the US markets start to show signs of an underlying economic recovery, we'll be able to expect US interest rates to rise. We could be in for several years of US dollar recovery while the Eurozone, which hasn't swallowed as much medicine, may still have to work out some issues.

Obviously, I'm not certain on the timing, but when the market participants who exited the dollar return to it, you don't want to be on the wrong side of that trade.

No comments: