Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Earning While Sleeping or Catching The Top

This morning I wake up to verify that I've made about 30% of the NAV (net asset value) of my downside trading sub-account. Sweet!

How did I do this?

I have been charting the AUDJPY for several days. There is a clear down trend and at 7:30pm last night the price touched the top of the trend. From there I'd been able to accumulate short positions, setting protective stop losses before opening up another position.

1hr AUDJPY with trend lines
Needless to say, I ended up with a large portion of my account value in sold positions, without assuming undue risk.

If the trend lines hold, and I hope they do, I'll be accumulating long positions at some point later today.

NOTE: The chart is a bit squished and perhaps complex, as I've got trend lines based on various high and low points, two different averages, one MACD, and some Bollinger bands. However, I've highlighted the significant top touch that set off my sell strategy.

No comments: